PHOTO CREDIT: © 4774344sean | Dreamstime.com
Until May 10 (Mothers Day) it's all about Cookies and Cookie Jars at Morback House.Here are some interesting cookie history trivia for you...
* According to culinary historians, cookies evolved from test cakes used to test oven temperature. Small amounts of cake batter were dropped onto pans to test the temperature of the oven before the cakes were baked.
* Cookies are believed to date back to 7th century Persia (one of the first countries to cultivate sugar) and spread throughout Europe as a result of the Muslim conquest of Spain.
* By the 14th century, cookies were common throughout all of Europe.
* By the 1800s, cookie recipes were being published in cookbooks as 'small cakes.' In fact, the term 'cookie' comes from the Dutch word koekje or koekie which means little cake!
* What we call 'cookies' in the United States are called biscuits in the United Kingdom and Australia, galletas in Spain, kels in Germay, and biscotti or amaretti in Italy.
History of Cookies in the United States