Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Rescue of Mary Ellen Smock

One hundred years ago, Mary Ellen Smock was one of Sherwood's most prominant citizens. She signed important documents and supported political candidates. According to the memoir of Maria Beard Sweek, however, Mary Ellen's life did not start out so grand:

Her mother died when she was born... and there was no one to take her. Her father couldn't keep her, he had a lot of little children, so I took her and kept her for a long time, and I nursed her and fed mine.... [I] put one in the cradle and took one in bed with me, and I kept her there a long time. She says she wished I had always kept her. I finally told her father he had to give her to me or take her away, because I was getting too attached to her to have to give her up, but after that she was from place to place like they usually are. She married a very nice man....

--Life in a New, Untamed Land by the Tualatin Historical Society (2001)

2 comments:

JayCeeSmock said...

That is correct. Always go to The Sherwood Historical Society for the most accurate information.

JayCeeSmock said...

Could have been me or my wife we were both orphans. (Just kidding) do you have any more information we can follow up on?

Blog Archive

Things for Sale at the Museum

A Place in Time by June Reynolds

History Book $30
Christmas Chair by June Reynolds

Reynolds Fiction $12
Heritage Trail Guide by Clyde List
Trail Guide $5
The Folks CD
The Folks $7
Sherwood Centennial Cook Book
Cook Book $7.50
Renaissance Singers CD
Renaissance Singers $15
Melody Guy CD

Melody Guy

The Sherwood Heritage Center is a project of the Sherwood Historical Society